Sunday, June 22, 2008

Ferry NIGHTMARE Part 2

*****SPOILER ALERT**** If you haven't read part one, you gotta read it first.



So, I decide to call Tim with the only dollar I have left. I pray that he answers, and he does. SUCCESS! The only problem is I didn't really plan out what to say, so I said, "You gotta call my dad and tell him to come back. He has my wallet and phone. I'll wait by the ferry. Bye."

I walk up to the visitors center and plop down. The only thing left to do is wait. I eat my snack and just sit and ponder, while I watch my 5 o'clock ferry, my ride back home, pull out into the sound. Then, I start thinking. If there really is no cell phone service on the island, my dad won't get my message until after he gets back to Hatteras. The next ferry here doesn't come until 10, so I can't go anywhere anyway, but my dad doesn't know that. He doesn't know that I would still be sitting there. There's no way for him to call me, and I can't call Tim back to tell him that I'll just sit and wait. What am I going to do if he doesn't make it back? I can't just sleep here, but I also don't have any money to get on the ferry even if I did give up and try to go home. I'm stuck here with no money, no food, and no way to talk to anyone! What a crazy deseparate feeling!!!

SO.......I waited. And about 5 minutes of worrying later, my dad pulled back up! PRAISE THE LORD!!! Just in time to see the ferry pull on out into the ocean! Fortunately, Tim was able to reach him, but unfortunately he got pulled over by a cop on his way back to bring me my stuff. He might have made it if it wasn't for that.

My dad and the boys hung out for a little while to keep me company. I bought a souvenir to remember my wonderful trip. I got home at 1:00 AM. I did have 7 1/2 hours to THINK about what I wanted to pack. I had time to read my tear jerking novel, which only added to my tears of frustration.

I did learn a few things from this event. Other than the obvious, I also learned that its nice to have a little compassion for people. I was reminded what it was like to feel lost, lonely, and helpless.

1 comment:

Nicole Wilson Conley said...

ahhh... how crazy!
so glad you mentioned your blog on facebook... i love blogs!

:)
Nicole