Sunday, July 6, 2008

No more SOFTDRINKS!




Part of my new campaign is no more softdrinks. You have understand that I am absolutely ADDICTED to them. I guess I have always drank them, and other than a few short stints here and there, I've NEVER been without softdrinks for more than a few weeks, maybe even days. So NO MORE SOFT DRINKS. Our biggest loser idea actually started with a bet to see who could go the longest without softdrinks and evolved from there. So ADIOS Mountain Dew, Dr. Pepper, all my favs! See you on December the 6th at my celebration party!


Just for the fun of it....Here's all the bad facts I found about drinking soft drinks:


The carbonation in all soft drinks causes calcium loss in the bones through a three-stage process:
1. The carbonation irritates the stomach.
2. The stomach "cures" the irritation the only way it knows how. It adds the only antacid at its disposal: calcium. It gets this from the blood.
3. The blood, now low on calcium, replenishes its supply from the bones. If it did not do this, muscular and brain function would be severely impaired.


In the spring of 2005, research showed a strong correlation between esophageal cancer and the drinking of carbonated beverages


The salt in these "beverages" may reduce the amount of water in your cells. Salt increases dehydration, which is why sailors don't drink seawater.


The sugar in these "beverages" (other than the diet kind) increases hunger.


The obesity and nutritional deficiencies typically suffered by heavy soda drinkers bring on back and joint pain.


The various colorings and other substances in sodas aren't noted for cancer prevention.



So if you ever needed a reason to quit drinking sodas, there you go.

4 comments:

Nicole Wilson Conley said...

yay renata! i love that show, too.
i added your husband's blog to my bloglines feeder, too, so I'll be watching you both... but cheering for you! a bathroom is way more productive than a boat! :)

cadovius said...

I'm all for some MOUNTAIN DEW! It's my absolute favorite. I now drink the caff. free/diet kind, but I really, really need to cut it out. I tried giving it up a few months ago and just couldn't do it. Maybe now I will. So, what are you drinking now?

Renata said...

Just good old fashion filtered water! Remember our water here STINKS (until I win and we get a water filter), so I have to filter it, but that's pretty much all I'm drinking. I am getting in some milk here and there, and very rarely I've been drinking sweet tea. I'm going through detox right now. I have NO energy! My body isn't used to no caffiene!

cadovius said...

i haven't had caffiene in weeks and i tell ya...the first few days i had the worst headaches ever! tylenol didn't even touch 'em. I do feel better now, though. I feel like my thoughts are clearer and I have more energy throughout the day. it's worth it. :-) You're doing so great and I'm extremely proud of you!